Friday, April 15, 2011

Tuna Curry and Aloo Palak


I don't know about you guys, but I hate even the smell of tuna. Yuck. But, for some odd reason, I always seem to have cans and cans of the stuff lying around, waiting to be used. I guess it's because it's cheap and seems practical to have, just in case. Anyway, I decided I needed to use up some of that awful stuff, but it's so hard for me to find recipes that use tuna that I actually enjoy. It happens, but only rarely. Tonight, I found a winner. I got the original idea here and made quite a few changes. The spice of the curry, plus the slight sourness of the sour cream, mixed with the sweet of the pepper and carrot I added, combined to make a very tasty curry, despite the tuna! If I like this, trust me, you tuna haters out there should give it a try. I made the second dish, the original idea here, because I am abounding in potatoes right now and I had half a bunch of spinach just sitting in the fridge awaiting use. The original was a bit too complex for my style, so I made an easier version. I like just about any food with spinach and potato in it, so I'll let you be the judges. Enjoy!

Tuna Curry

Tuna, 2 5oz cans
Light Sour Cream, 3/4 cup
Carrot, 1 medium, shreds/peels
Yellow onion, 1/2 large or 1 cup
Red or Orange bell pepper, 1/2 diced
Celery, 1 large stalk, sliced
Garlic powder, 1 tsp
Curry powder, 1 tbsp (I used red curry powder and the spiciness was perfect. If you use a milder curry powder, I suggest adding a tiny bit of cayenne pepper to balance the fishy taste out.)
Olive Oil cooking spray
Cumin, 1 tsp

Spray a large skillet or wok with cooking spray. Saute onions, pepper, celery, and carrots until onions are clear. Add drained tuna and spices. Saute for another couple of minutes. Add sour cream. Cook until heated through. Serve with rice.

MFP nutritional info, 4 large servings, each has: 160 calories 7 grams of fat 16 grams of protein 246 milligrams of sodium


Aloo Palak(Potato and Spinach Curry)

2 Potatoes, cubed
Baby Spinach Leaves, 6 oz (almost half of a costco package)
Orange Bell Pepper, 1/2 whole
Turmeric, ground, 1/2 tsp
Curry powder, 1 tbsp (I used yellow curry powder for this, a milder version)
Ground Mustard, 1/2 tsp
Onion powder, 1 tsp
Water, 1/4 cup
Sea Salt, 1/4 tsp
Sesame Oil, 2 tablespoon

Saute potatoes, and pepper, in sesame oil until they begin to brown. Add spices, water, and spinach. Stir well and cover. Let cook over medium until spinach is wilted and potatoes are soft. Serve.

MFP nutritional info, 4 servings, each has: 138 calories 7 grams of fat 3 grams of protein 142 milligrams of sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm
Check out the steam coming from the slow cooker!

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken
NOT a food photographer, ha ha ha. Hopefully I'll get better.

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein
Aren't those veggies pretty?