Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cauliflower Fritters and Spinach and Rice


Okay, so, I've got to be honest with you, my lovely unfrumpy people. When I discovered this recipe on skinny taste, I was delighted by the fact that these little goodies could satisfy my longing for fried greasy goodness without being overly fattening, like most fried foods. However, I'm all about the quick, simple, tasty, and cheap when it comes to meals. These were definitely tasty and cheap, but not nearly as quick and simple as I would have liked. Some pointers: Pick a good, evenly heating, pan or skillet to make them on. Use a Cookie Scoop to plop them onto the heated, oiled, surface, then smoosh them flat. Make sure the heat is on medium. They will take a little longer, but they will cook more evenly. Lastly, don't expect it to be a fast process. Ok, here are the recipes.

Cauliflower Fritters

2 medium heads of Cauliflower, or 4 cups, steamed and chopped (don't let it get watery. I used my Food Processor to chop it.)
1 cup flour (I didn't have whole wheat flour on hand.)
4 oz (1/4 1lb block) sharp cheddar, shredded/grated
2 tbsp parsley (I used dried)
1/4 cup water (make sure the mix doesn't get too watery. If it looks too wet, use less.)
3 large scallions, sliced
3 egg whites only
1 tbsp garlic powder (I ran out of fresh)
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Steam and chop cauliflower. Mix cauliflower, flour, cheese, parsley, water (if needed), scallions, egg whites, and garlic powder in a large mixing bowl. On a skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat. When hot, scoop mix onto skillet and smash into flat cirlces. Cook for 2 minutes, or until it begins to brown on one side. Turn, and cook on the other side until both sides are brown and the consistency isn't squishy. Remove from oil. If oil starts to get low as you cook fritters, add remaining 2 tbsp. I served mine with spinach and rice and sweet chili sauce.

MFP info: 4 servings, each has: 382 calories 24 grams of fat 17 protein 247 milligrams of sodium

I also found this recipe on skinny taste and altered it to be easier for me.

Spinach and Rice

4 cups prepared white rice
2 oz Baby spinach leaves
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp garlic powder

Prepare rice with butter in rice cooker. In a large pan, heat broth, oil, and garlic powder. Add spinach until it begins to wilt. Add prepared rice to pan and mix well. Heat over low heat until moisture is soaked up. Serve.

MFP nutritional info, 4 servings, each has: 268 calories 7 grams of fat 5 grams of protein 174 milligrams of sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm
Check out the steam coming from the slow cooker!

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken
NOT a food photographer, ha ha ha. Hopefully I'll get better.

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein
Aren't those veggies pretty?