Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A good day! My little girl turned 3, I'm half way through level one, and I made up a tasty new recipe! Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken...

Hello lovelies! In case you were beginning to think I pooped out on my Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred commitment, I'm SO still in the game. Today I finished my fifth day, which means I'm half way through my ten days of level one. It still kicks my butt, but I have noticed a change in my ability to endure from day one. I'm hoping that doubles again before I start level two...YIKES! Another pointer, don't be lazy and push your workout back until ten at night. Not a good idea. It's hard enough when your stamina level is high. Anyway, another biggie today, my (mostly) sweet little princess turned 3 today. Wow. It just goes to show how fast life flies past us. We need to cherish it. And we need to cherish our health so we can enjoy our fleeting lives, and our too quickly growing children. Sniffle, sniffle. Now, on to that recipe!

So, I had some random ingredients in my fridge to use up, and I was craving chinese or the like. So I got an idea for a sweet and spicy chicken, somewhat similar to General Tso's chicken, but nothing fried, way lower in sodium, and overall easier on the waistline. What I came up with was actually pretty darn tasty. And, it's a slow cooker meal. Nothing beats that. Check it out!


Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used frozen. It's about 1 pound uncooked.)
3 large scallions, diced
1 tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
1 cup water
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, cored, and diced/sliced
1 large carrot, shredded/peels
1/4 cup Something Special Deli-Foods Ltd. - Red Chili Pepper Spread (I bought it at costco and was excited to use it for something.)
1/2 cup splenda for baking (it was pretty sweet with this much. Tasty, but sweet. If you like it a little less sweet, use less.)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (if you want it spicier, use more.)

Prepare vegetables. Put carrot through a slicer shredder, or I just used a potato peeler to make as thick of shreds as I could. Combine water and cornstarch, mix well. Add all ingredients to a slow cooker. Cook on high for 6-8 hours. Chicken should easily shred. Serve over white rice. Yum yum yum. If you like it, let me know :)

MFP nutritional info: 4 servings, each has: 241 calories 2 grams of fat 27 grams of protein 239 milligrams of sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm
Check out the steam coming from the slow cooker!

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken
NOT a food photographer, ha ha ha. Hopefully I'll get better.

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein
Aren't those veggies pretty?