Monday, April 11, 2011

Spaghetti al'Aglio Olio e Peperoncino (con Cipolle)


Okay, so, it may go against everything Italian to mix garlic with onion (true blue Italians claim that onion and garlic cancel each other out in taste,) but my palate is not that sophisticated yet, and I love me some onion. Mmm hmm. SO I took the most basic, staple Italian pasta and added a little onion to it, and it was YUMMY. Not to mention, so cheap. And quick. And easy. And, best of all, surprisingly easy on the waistline. Here's my recipe. It's super basic. If you need something more, feel free to add to it. Enjoy!

1 box Ronzoni Smart Taste Thin Spaghetti
2 tsp red pepper flakes (this was a little spicy for my 3 year old, although I loved it.)
4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 large yellow onion, diced
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
Sea Salt, to taste (go easy for Sodium's sake! I used 2-3 tsp, water and all)
1/2 cup reserved water from boiling pasta

Prepare pasta to al dente. Save 1/2 cup of the pasta water before straining the rest. In a pan, saute garlic, onions, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in oil (I did this while the pasta boiled. Saute until onions are clear and fully cooked.) When pasta is ready, add the noodles and reserved water to the oil, onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes mix. Stir well to coat. Serve. YUM!

MFP nutritional info 6 servings, each has: 287 calories 11 grams of fat 8 grams of protein 275 milligrams of sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm
Check out the steam coming from the slow cooker!

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken
NOT a food photographer, ha ha ha. Hopefully I'll get better.

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein
Aren't those veggies pretty?