Friday, March 11, 2011

Stuffed Tomatoes...finally. HA! (Last night we went out for our anniversary.)


4 large red tomatoes, insides removed (I save the insides to use in other recipes)
4oz baby spinach (I've also used a mixed blend with arugula and it was tasty)
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 turkey sausage links, casings removed
1 can garbanzo beans
1 package Feta cheese (app. 8 oz)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp shredded parmesan
1 tbsp basil

Cut insides out of tomatoes, forming them into little bowls. Place in a 9x9 baking dish. In a pan, brown sausage and break into crumbles. Drain excess fat. Add red onion and cook until onion is tender. Preheat oven to 400. In a blender, combine beans, spinach, olive oil, basil, feta, and garlic. Blend until smooth. Add sausage and onion (I like to run this through my Food Processorfirst to really break it up.) Blend again until mixed, not too long. Distribute blended mix into tomatoes. Top each stuffed tomato with one tbsp of shredded parmesan. Place in oven. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and they are heated through. Serve. I like to serve it with Quinoa. I prepare it in my Rice Cooker.

Info according to MFP: 228 calories 13 grams of fat 17 grams of protein 598 milligrams of sodium

2 comments:

  1. The actual calories, as well as sodium, are probably lower. MFP doesn't account for the tomatoes being gutted. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added more spinach. The sodium level went up to 640. Calories went up 10 as well.

    ReplyDelete

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm
Check out the steam coming from the slow cooker!

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken
NOT a food photographer, ha ha ha. Hopefully I'll get better.

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein
Aren't those veggies pretty?