Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Huevos Rancheros and Mexican Rice...Yum!



SO, I love Mexican food. As I sat on my couch tonight agonizing over what I could make for dinner, I started craving mexican food. But I WOULD NOT give in to super fatty delicious temptation again! So I looked at what I had on hand and came to a brilliant solution (if I do say so myself.) I decided to develop a recipe for Huevos Rancheros (why I'm always abounding with eggs, I don't know,) and a lighter mexican style rice to accompany said eggs. This is what I came up with. I hope you enjoy it.

Huevos Rancheros

Corn Tortilla - sprayed with olive oil spray, baked at 400 until crispy
1 fried egg
1/2 package Marketside Guacamole (app. 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup black beans, low sodium
1/4 cup pico de gallo
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 tbsp crumbled/grated cotija cheese
shredded lettuce - as much as you'd like

Bake tortilla until crispy. Fry egg on non-stick pan. Warm black beans in microwave safe bowl. When finished, place fried egg over baked tortilla. Top with beans, guacamole, pico de gallo, cotija, and cilantro. Serve with shredded lettuce if desired. Enjoy.

According to MFP, one serving has: 336 calories 13 grams of fat 16 grams of protein 597 milligrams of sodium



Mexican Rice

3 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups white rice, long grain, dry
1 cup water
1 cup salsa ( I used the black bean and white corn kind, it had lower sodium than others I checked)
1/2 large onion, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 tbsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 400. Combine all ingredients in a 13x9 pan. Bake for one hour. Stir and let sit for five minutes. Serve.

MFP nutritional info, 6 servings, each has: 217 calories 0 grams of fat 5 grams of protein 498 milligrams of sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm

Low Cal, Low fat, Slow Cooker Chili....mmmm
Check out the steam coming from the slow cooker!

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Served with my Italian Cheese Biscuits...if you want the recipe ask.

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken

Vegetable Lo Mein with Chicken
NOT a food photographer, ha ha ha. Hopefully I'll get better.

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein

Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein
Aren't those veggies pretty?